PRESS RELEASE FROM SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT:
First graders at Plew Elementary in Niceville found a loaded forty caliber handgun on school grounds today but thankfully no one was injured.
Deputies believe the gun is connected to a case being investigated by the Niceville Police Department that took place in the area the night before when two suspects fled from officers after jumping the school fence.
A Plew Elementary teacher was walking her students back to class around 11:30 a.m. this morning when she noticed students looking at an object in the leaves between the library and a classroom building. It turned out to be a 40 caliber handgun.
The OCSO School Resource Officer responded and the weapon was turned over to the Niceville Police Department.
As a precaution, an OCSO K9 Unit also went to the school and conducted a search of the campus.
Charges could be levied by the OCSO if the individual who left the gun on school grounds can be identified.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Official Memorial Fund for wife, 1-year-old son of slain MPD Officer
- Via Airlines announces non-stop flights between Mobile and Orlando
- Condolences pour in from across the country for slain MPD officer
- Mayor Stimpson: "If you see a policeman, go hug them, tell them you appreciate them"