MOBILE, Alabama (WKRG) - It was a "Blue Out" Friday night at the Bayside Academy Football game in honor of a beloved coach who is hospitalized.
Coach Mark Lasseter is recovering from a cardiac emergency that he suffered earlier this week during 3rd-grade boys' PE class.
"I am proud of our 3rd graders and coaching staff for their immediate response," said Head of School Michael Papa. "Administrators, students, and staff followed the protocol in which they have been trained. A life was saved due to the quick reaction of Bayside students and staff."
Fans were asked to wear blue to their homecoming game against Mobile Christian in support of Coach Lasseter.
Friends said Lasseter successfully underwent heart surgery on Friday and is recovering. Seniors on the football team set up a GoFundMe account to help pay for expenses.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Live Traffic Blog: Jan. 17
- Winter Weather Viewer Photos
- ROAD CONDITIONS: Road closures due to winter weather
- Fatal head-on collision involving 18-wheeler on Hwy 43 in Saraland