BAY ST. LOUIS, Miss. (AP) - A former Mississippi police officer charged in the death of her daughter in a hot patrol car has pleaded not guilty.
The Sun Herald reports 28-year-old Cassie Barker was arraigned Monday on a charge of second-degree murder in the 3-year-old girl's death.
The former Long Beach officer is accused of leaving Cheyenne Hyer unattended in a patrol car for more than four hours while she was in another officer's home. The car's air conditioner was on but wasn't blowing cold air. Hyer was found unresponsive in the car and died Sept. 30, 2016.
Barker was fired days later and initially charged with manslaughter.
A judge set a trial date for April 2, 2018. Barker remains free on a $50,000 bond.
Woman gets 2 days in prison for...
Man with bite mask tattoo wanted in...
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- USA/Ladd Stadium Proposal on Tuesday's Council Agenda
- Summer temperatures bring out venomous snakes
- "Everyone is stuck on the Bayway at some point but this really hit home."
- Mobile firefighters set house on fire for training